Skip to content

+1(437) 637-0693 (Toll Free)

Sponsor your Common-Law Partner to Canada

Highly successful immigration consultants specialized in family sponsorship

Marriage is not the only option for partners to reunite

Find out if your relationship is considered a common-law partnership

Each application presents different challenges; work with experts in family sponsorship

Filing for sponsorship without the right guidance can cause delays or a refusal. Mitigate your chances of a negative outcome with the help of Immmigration Pros.

Start your Free Assessment

Esto nos ayudará a evaluar mejor tu caso y cómo podemos ayudarte.
We'll get back to you within a few hours
More than 16 years of experience

More than 16 years of experience

Our consultants are licensed by CICC

Our consultants are licensed by CICC in all provinces

Dedicated quality assurance team

Dedicated quality assurance team

Hundreds of successful cases per year

Hundreds of successful cases per year

Services available in English, Spanish and French

Services available in English, Spanish and French

Specialty in LMIAs

Specialty in LMIAs, work permits and family sponsorships

What is a Common-law Partner?

A common-law partnership is defined as a couple who have lived together for at least one year in a conjugal relationship. In order to be considered common law partners, the partners must have cohabited for at least one year; meaning they’ve combined their affairs and set up their household together in one dwelling.

This year of cohabitation must be continuous, however, during this year either partner may have left the home for work, business, travel, and other such obligations. This absence must be temporary and short in order to qualify as common law partners.

How can Common-law Partners Prove that they have been Together for a Year?

There are many ways to prove cohabitation, for example:

Shared ownership of residential property

Joint leases or rental agreements

Couples can show they have the same address with documents such as driver’s licenses, insurance policies, personal identification documents, etc.

Common-law Partner Sponsorship

Couples who have been cohabiting for a continuous period of at least 12 months are considered to be common-law partners by Canada. A common-law partner, along with any dependent children, may immigrate to Canada through this Family Sponsorship stream.

In addition to cohabitation, couples must demonstrate that the relationship is genuine by providing proof of shared expenses, photographs, and anything else that showcases the evolution of the relationship.

In order to qualify, sponsors must meet the following requirements:

Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

If you are a citizen living outside of Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored partner becomes a permanent resident. This option is not available to permanent residents living outside of Canada.

You must be able to provide financial support to partners sponsored, along with any dependent children that are part of the application.

We’ll get back to you within a few hours

Application Process of Sponsoring a Common-Law Partner to Canada

The application process can be complicated and lengthy, the most minor mistake can lead to the application being rejected as the government is very aware of fraud.

The first step is to download the application package from the government website.

Next, the applicant must determine what documentation he or she must submit that is pertinent to the situation at hand. Most of the difficulty of this application comes from the proof of relationship. You will most likely need to provide:

  • A one-page story that contextualizes your relationship
  • Photos
  • Letters from family, friends, neighbors, employers, etc. that attest to the validity of your relationship
  • Screenshots of past communications (WhatsApp, Messenger, texts, etc.)
  • A lease with both of your names on it or extensive bank records.

Applicants will then need to pay the fees associated with sponsorship. The approximate cost of sponsorship is around $1,050. This is made up of the sponsorship fee ($75), the principal applicant processing fee ($475), and right of permanent residence fee ($500). If the applicants are required to provide biometrics, they will need to pay an additional $85. Furthermore, sponsors living in Quebec will need to pay additional fees.

Once the application is submitted and the fees are paid, the applicants will have to wait for a decision, which can take around 12 months depending on the complexity of the application and the quantity of applications being processed by the government at that time.

We’ll get back to you within a few hours

Obligations as a Sponsor of a Common-law Partner to Canada

Sponsoring a partner is not as easy as filling out and submitting an application. It’s a long-term commitment where the government holds sponsors responsible for their partner’s well-being. Even if the relationship comes to an end once permanent residence has been granted, sponsors must still cover their ex-partner’s basic needs.

According to the Canadian government immigration website, basic needs are:

Food, clothing, shelter, and other needs for everyday living

Dental care, eye care, and other health needs that aren’t covered by public health services

About the Process



Call or fill out our contact form for a free assessment. Our team of professionals will evaluate your case and provide you with professional feedback on your chances of success along with a quote.


Strategy Creation

Our team of professionals will work with you to create a tailor-made strategy that is likely to result in a successful Common-Law Partners Sponsorship application.


Case Revision

We will review your supporting documents thoroughly and work towards building a strong case.



In order to make this an easy and stress-free process, we will handle all communication with the government on your behalf while we await for a decision, keeping you informed every step of the way.



Once a decision has been made, our team will advise you on the next necessary steps.

What are you waiting for? Leave your Common-Law Sponsorship application to the Pros and reunite with your loved ones in Canada.

We’ll get back to you within a few hours

Work With Experts in Family Sponsorship

Filing for common-law sponsorship can be a long, difficult and confusing task. There are many requirements and things to keep in mind, doing it on your own can be quite tasking.

Working with a detail focused immigration consultant can help mitigate the chances of delays and denials resulting in a faster, stress-free process that is more likely to result in a successful outcome.

Not all applications are the same. Immigration Pros understand the challenges that come with every application and work closely with each client to ensure that every application includes everything necessary to build a strong case.

Our team of experts will keep you up to date about the process, communicate any changes or requests and handle all matters pertinent to the application.

Our Service Fees for this service: $3,090 – $3,990

We’ll get back to you within a few hours

When comparing Common-law Partner Sponsorship with Conjugal Partner Sponsorship, it’s essential to recognize the distinct requirements of each. Common-law Partner Sponsorship is suitable for couples who have cohabited in a conjugal relationship for at least one year continuously. However, if you are in a committed relationship but have been unable to cohabit due to significant legal or immigration barriers, Conjugal Partner Sponsorship may be the appropriate pathway. To understand more about Conjugal Partner Sponsorship and assess if it better fits your situation, visit the Conjugal Partner Sponsorship page.


The approximate processing time for common-law partner sponsorship applications is around 12 months. You can check for more details here.

Your partner can visit you in Canada if they successfully obtain a temporary visa (if required). If you want them to live with you, you will need to apply for common-law sponsorship, meet all the requirements, and get an approval.

A common-law relationship is legally a de facto relationship, meaning that it must be established in each individual case, based on the facts. Essentially, if you’ve lived together for a year or more and can prove cohabitation, you are considered common law partners.

If your application is successful, the sponsored partner obtains permanent resident status. This means that the sponsored partner will have the right to live and work in Canada without any time limit on their stay.

A common-law relationship is recognized for sponsorship when partners have cohabited in a conjugal relationship for at least one continuous year. This cohabitation must be in a marriage-like relationship, with shared responsibilities and commitment.

Proof of a common-law relationship can include joint leases or mortgages, shared bank accounts, insurance policies under both names, and other documents that demonstrate cohabitation and a shared life. Feel free to contact us and get a free assessment of your case.

The minimum duration is one continuous year of living together in a conjugal relationship. Shorter periods, even if significant, do not meet the threshold for common-law sponsorship.