+1 888-276-3399 (Toll Free)

Immigration Pros Logo

Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Program

An Express Entry program for foreigners with work experience outside of Canada, or within.

Learn more about the Federal Skilled Worker program and how it can be a favorable option for professionals.

Start your Free Assessment

Esto nos ayudará a evaluar mejor tu caso y cómo podemos ayudarte.
We'll get back to you within a few hours
15+ years of experience

15+ years of experience

Licensed by CICC and in every Canadian province

Licensed by CICC and in every Canadian province

Dedicated quality assurance team

Dedicated quality assurance team

Hundreds of successful cases per year

Hundreds of successful cases per year

We speak English, French, and Spanish

We speak English, French, and Spanish

Specialized in LMIAs, work permits, and family sponsorships

Specialized in LMIAs, work permits, and family sponsorships

Express Entry via Federal Skilled Worker Program

The FSW is a program for foreign skilled workers with work experience in NOC 0, A or B positions who want to immigrate to Canada permanently, whether work experience was acquired inside or outside of Canada.

The program facilitates the chance of obtaining permanent residence for those who meet certain requirements. As the FSW is a points-based system, applicants are awarded a certain amount of points according to their age, education, work experience, valid job offer, language skills and adaptability. 

Applicants must obtain at least 67 out of 100 points in order to apply to this program. If an applicant meets the point requirement, they may submit their application to be considered for invitation to apply for permanent residence through Express Entry. 


federal skilled worker program mobile

Requirements for Federal Skilled Worker Program

In order to apply successfully for the federal skilled worker program, applicants will need to demonstrate that they have enough money to settle in Canada. The amount of money required will depend on the size of the family. This will include the applicant, the applicant’s spouse or partner, and any dependent children. Dependent children will be included in the calculation even if they are permanent residents or Canadian citizens or are not coming to Canada with the applicant. Here is a table outlining the minimum funds an applicant should have:

Number of family members 1 $13,310 2 $16,570 3 $20,371 4 $24,733 5 $28,052 6 $31,638 7 $35,224 For each additional family member $3,586 Funds required (in Canadian dollars)

The proof of funds requirement is critical to an application alongside the work experience, education and language ability factors.

Six Selection Factors to Get to the
67-point Mark

There are several factors that play into the amount of points an applicant receives. For each requirement, a candidate has a maximum amount of points that they can earn.

Skilled Work Experience
(earn up to 15 points)

Education (earn up to 25 points)

Language Skills (earn up to 28 points)

Age (earn up to 12 points)

Adaptability (earn up to 10 points)

Adaptability is scored depending on the possibility of settlement and ability to the country and culture. This is accessed in order to accept applicants that may want to stay and live in Canada permanently. Several factors play a role in an applicant’s favor, including first-hand Canadian work experience obtained by the applicant or by the applicant’s spouse.

Arranged Employment in Canada (earn up to 10 points)

You may qualify for this program even if you are already in Canada under a current full-time contract and the contract will be ongoing at the moment of filing the application.

Proof of Funds

Applicants must show that they have enough funds to enable them and their families to settle in Canada, unless:

To see the points system, take a look at the points system for the FSW program.

Process of Federal Skilled Worker Program

Here is a breakdown of the application process :

Start Your Federal Skilled Worker Process TODAY!



Call or fill out our contact form for a free assessment. Our team of professionals will evaluate your case and provide you with professional feedback on your chances of success and a quote.


Strategy Creation

Our team of professionals will work with you to create a tailor-made strategy that is likely to result in a successful immigration process.


Case Revision

We will review your supporting documents thoroughly and work towards building a strong case.



In order to make this an easy and stress-free process, we will handle all communication with the government on your behalf while we await for a decision, keeping you informed every step of the way.



Once a decision has been made, our team will advise you on the next necessary steps.

What are you waiting for? Leave your Immigration application to the Pros!

We'll get back to you within a few hours

Beware of ghost Immigration Consultants! Only Certified Canadian Immigration and Citizenship Consultant members in good standing with the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC) can offer consultation services for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada applications.


Out of the 100 points available, if you score 67 you may qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

The processing time for each application will vary depending on the complexity of your situation and if any other documentation is needed from you. The standard processing time is around 6 months between the submission of the application and the issuance of your permit.

The processing fee associated with an FSW work permit is around $850. An additional $515 can be paid for the right of permanent residency. If applying with a spouse or partner they will also have to pay the $850 processing fee and the $515 right of permanent residency fee. For each dependent child, the processing fee is $230. Additional fees may also be incurred if the government needs to collect biometrics.

The FSW allows for a primary applicant, the worker, to include their spouse or partner and their and their partner’s dependent children.

The federal skilled worker program is one of many immigration programs that use the Express Entry system to filter eligible applicants. Other programs that use express entry include the Canadian Experience Class and the Federal Skilled Trades Program.