Work Permit and LMIA

Whether if you are an employer who wants to hire a foreign worker or a worker who has an employment offer, Immigration Pros can help you file an application for the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), formerly known as Labour Market Opinion (LMO), the application for obtaining a work permit.

For people outside Canada

We will guide the foreign worker step by step on submitting their application for a work permit. Our Immigration Consultants will help the employer apply for an LMIA while also assisting the worker to submit an application for the work permit.

A professionally prepared application makes a huge difference when applying to embassies overseas. A LMIA is no guarantee that the worker will get a permit and visa to enter Canada. We carefully review the Canadian embassy requirements that handle applications from the worker’s country of origin, and we make sure everything is presented according to those guidelines.

For people inside Canada

Different types of foreign nationals can request a work permit and visa or a change in their current work permit.

We can assess employees with a current work permit that wish to change either their job position (if they have been offered a different position in the company) or their expiry date (if the company wishes to extend their employment period). These processes are called Work Permit Extensions or Renewals.

Either way, a Labour Market Impact Assessment is required before applying for a work permit renewal with the same employer or a new one.

People can apply from within Canada if they have a valid study permit and visa or if their spouse/parents have a study or work permit and visa. Also, if they have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or if they have applied for permanent residence from inside Canada and have passed certain stages in the primary application process before being eligible for work (e.g. like In-Canada spouses, live-in caregivers). 

If you have not found a Canadian employer willing to hire you, you can visit our Job Board from our partner worker placement agency.

                         Our foreign recruitment agency can help!

For people covered by international treaties

North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

Citizens of the United States and Mexico can obtain a job offer without requiring the approval of Service Canada in the following cases:

  • Business Visitors
  • Intra-Company Transferees
  • Traders and Investors

Canada–Chile Free Trade Agreement (CCFTA)

The Canada–Chile Free Trade Agreement makes it easier for Chilean citizens to temporarily enter Canada. The categories, rules and requirements are similar to those of NAFTA.

General Agreement On Trade in Services (GATS)

People who work for foreign companies from World Trade Organization member countries that provide services in Canada can get a work permit and visa without an approved job offer in the following cases:

  • Business Visitors
  • Professionals
  • Intra-Company Transferees

People Exempt From Work Permits

People with a job offer approved by Human Resources Canada can apply for a work permit in Canada. Only the following workers in specific circumstances are exempt from needing a work permit and visa while working in Canada:

  • Business Visitors
  • Foreign Representatives
  • Family Members of Foreign Representatives
  • Military Personnel
  • Producers or staff members on advertising
  • Short-term high-skilled worker
  • Short-term researcher
  • Foreign Government Officers
  • Student On-Campus Employment
  • Student Off-Campus Employment
  • Performing Artists
  • Athletes and Coaches
  • News Reporters
  • Public Speakers
  • Convention Organizers
  • Clergy
  • Judges and Referees
  • Examiners and Evaluators
  • Expert Witnesses or Investigators
  • Health-Care Students
  • Civil Aviation Inspectors
  • Accident or Incident Inspectors
  • Crew Members
  • Emergency Service Providers

These people still need to apply for a Temporary Residence visa (if applicable) to enter Canada as visitors.

Contact us for a free evaluation of your case.

Ask for Quote
Our fee range:

[$1,190 – $1,800]

Call +1 888-276-3399 (Toll-free) or +1 416-840-6570 and we will gladly provide you with a free quote for your particular case.

We speak English, Spanish, French, and Farsi.

Work Permit: Download this form and send it by email or fax.

Fax: 416-352-7412


Click here to send us a message.